Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The Beginning

There have been times when I would start a story, get really into it and then for no other reason but become distracted by my everyday life, I would put it away and forget about it.  Hey, writing is tough!  There have been many times I've sat in front of this very screen, staring for hours before a single sentence is put down.  Tough, I tell you.

Several times I wanted to quit on The Binding, but continue to find myself sticking with it.  It's my first completed novel...well, as a published book.  I was so happy and ecstatic, and I couldn't feel my feet for all about an hour.  However, once the eurphoria passed, I was thrown back to the old familiar world of self doubt and worry.  I was worried that no one would even care to read what took me months to put into words.

Thank goodness for family.  I have an understanding man, an even more understanding daughter and a small Filipino friend who threaten to kick my butt each time I whined and wanted to give up on the whole book writing-thing.  Hey, she's tiny but she hits like Brock Lesner...trust me on that.

Well, the book was completed and I did what every proud and hopeful new author did; I sent out query letters after query letters and received rejection letters after rejection letters.  After the 36th rejection letter, I realized then that the writing was the easy part.  And, once again I was ready to toss in the towel.  That is until I read an article about Ms. Darcie Chan.  Ms. Chan is also an indie-author who after many rejections from agents and publishers discovered the world of self-publishing.  Within a year, her novel that no agent or publisher wanted sold over 200,000 copies...all in ebook format on Amazon.com.  Hope sprang and I eagerly made the decision to self published.  It's not a difficult process on Amazon.com, you just need to have a completed manuscript, answer a few questions and you're a published author.  However, like an amateur, I put it out there believing that my own editing was good enough.  It wasn't. 

I discovered about indie authors; most of us can't afford professional editing...they are expensive.  I kid you not.  Credible professional editors start at a minimum of $4,000; and thats just for starters. 

Thank goodness I still kept in touch with my Drama teacher from high school.  She knew that I couldn't afford a professional editor so she offered to do it for me...at no cost.  Unfortunately, she made the offer after purchasing it through Amazon Kindle for $2.99.  Yup, it was still out there, but since sales was slow, I figured I'd keep it at that price until her edits came back. 

This is just the beginning of the journey for me, but for now I'll end it here .  I'll let you know how I'm doing on the whole self-promoting, self-marketing thing.  Like I said, writing is tough; but it's a lot easier than getting not just your name, but your book out there...now that's tough!


Until next time, good reading to all!
L. Filloon

5 comments:

  1. I have also finished my first novel and am ecstatic. And scared to death. I so know where you are coming from!

    Bless you on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jubilee! Let me know the links of your book and like it. I'll also link it to this page.

    Great success to both of us...as we walk the lonely path of the writer, knees knocking, hands tremble and heart full of hope and excitement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going through the same thing. I have been doing the start and stop writing for the past few years. I think I lost heart after a few harsh critiques. Self doubt is a killer. I'm so glad that you self published, because I absolutely enjoyed your book! I can't wait for book 2!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary...I feel you, I really do. At one point I was crippled by harsh reveiws and almost gave up on the Velesi Trilogy. But then I got some great advice from another indie-author and she said to thicken my skin, write what makes me happy, write what makes my readers happy and use the nasty reviews to my advantage and learn from them. And that's what I did. Best advise I've recieved since starting on my writing path.

      Don't let a few take your passion, it's not theirs to take in the first place. It's yours to use to bring forth your dream and do what you need to do for you. I truly hope you will take that pen and put it to paper (or in this day and age...put your fingers to the keyboard and type away). I wish you the best and I can't wait to comment on your published works one day. :)

      As for The Drifting, it's coming along nicely. It looks like it will meet its release date in Oct.

      Thanks for stopping by Mary and for the encouraging words. Take care!

      LF

      Delete
  4. I am a book lover, and I always have been. I absolutely love The binding, it kept me intrigued, I fell in love with the characters and it left me wanting more! I couldn't ask for more from a series. Keep up the amazing writing. :)

    ReplyDelete