Friday, September 27, 2013

A Grown Up Elf

Mellis Lunar???
Thank you for the response on the adult theme for the Alorn/Mellis spin-off.  I've read all the posts and emails sent, and it looks like the majority want a more adult-theme version, but without the hot and heavy panting.  I believe it's a natural progression to move into the over 18 year old category, but I don't believe that gratuitous sex scenes are necessary to tell a story or sell books.  In The Whispering, harsher curse words were used, but only by Frank and Chris Chase.  It was part of their characters.

As for our warriors, cursing is not a part of their characters, so they will remain less crude in their vocabulary.  You will never hear the words "sh*t", "f*ck" or "a**hole" come out of the mouths of the elves from Velesi.  But that's not to say supporting characters wouldn't use such language.  As for steamy scenes, I believe there's a way to create such scenes without being overly graphic to show intimacy.  But trust me, there have been many, many scenes with Lily and Tharin that I had to rewrite to maintain the integrity of their relationships (and consideration for my much younger readers).

Don't get me wrong, one of my favorite authors is Julie Garwood.  And those who are familiar with her work know the intimate scenes between her main characters are tastefully done, but leave you with heaving chest, raised temperature and eventually dropping the book so you can seek out and pounce upon your unsuspected spouse.  However, although the Lunar elves are significantly "male" material, there is a sense of integrity, danger and unspoken promises that are appealing, mysterious and fantasy invoking...and let's face it, something we sometimes crave in our own relationships.

There are other authors beside Ms. Garwood, such as Judith McNaught, Jayne Ann Krentz, Catherine Coulter and many more who are able to create intimate scenes that when read, the edges of the book disappear and we are transported into a candle lit bedroom (a room with a large bed that require a 6' ladder to climb into and lots of candles...I'm serious, lots of candles).  And, with abated breath we watch, with innocent trepidation and curiosity, the sexually animalistic stealth of our lover's measured approach through the eyes of our heroine.  Ah...adult theme, indeed.

So, can we have an adult theme for our warrior elves without compromising their integrity and the integrity of the storyline?  I believe the answer is yes.  I will make this one promise; there will be no man-whore or insta-love in the series for our heroes.  However, I do believe with Alorn there might be more rewrites than there were with Tharin and Lily. 

Until next time, good reading to all.
LF

6 comments:

  1. That's great! I'm happy to read your work and I really enjoy them! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jessica! I'm really looking forward to starting the warrior elf series. :)

      Delete
  2. Great post ! I can't wait to read this. I'm soooo behind on my reading. I have gone back to college and with 2 classes (can't handle more than that working full time & attempting to write :) ) and work the pile keeps growing. I am headed out to the patio to enjoy a beautiful Illinois day and read!

    Paul R. Hewlett

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paul! :)

      Sounds like you've got a busy schedule, but I hope you find more time for writing. But I feel ya on the working and writing thing. I hope you enjoyed your Illinois day.

      LF

      Delete
  3. Ms Filloon I appreciate that your writing is without explicit sex but still bring the soft romance that most of us enjoy. I am looking forward to more of your great stories. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patricia! It really is heartwarming for me when I hear comments like yours, again, thank you - and, you're very welcome. :)

      LF

      Delete